Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Read-peat One

In addition to listening to the same song over and over again, I'm also a fan of reading the same thing over and over again. I read the same book while in the bath for years, even after the front and back covers had come off. I would test my familiarity with the plot by choosing a page at random and seeing if I could orient myself within the story.

Other things I like on repeat one: "Reunited" on TAL and the below NYT Modern Love column by David Sarasohn, an associate editor of The Oregonian in Portland:

"A Joint Account That Underwrites Our Marriage"

The title may at first evoke thoughts of money, but Sarasohn is describing the "deposits" of bonding experiences between him and his wife.

Talking about twelve years of infertility, "the years of shared pain turned into a fund of shared experience, it was like coal being crushed into a diamond."

"In different ways, we translate each other to the rest of the world, and admire each other’s contrasting language skills. Being married to someone you respect for being somehow better than you keeps affection alive. That this impressive person chooses you year after year makes you more pleased with yourself, fueling the kind of mutual self-esteem that can get you through decades."

No comments:

Post a Comment